1900 CIVIL DEATH RECORD
24 Jun 1900 Death Record Recorded in Battyánd, Vas m.
Format: one-page per death.
Important note: the date at the top and bottom of this record is NOT the death date, it is the date the death was recorded.
Content of Original Format Civil Death Record.
- TOP MATERIAL -- At the top of the form is the page number and the date and place the death is being recorded -- in this case, the town of Battyánd on 25 Jun 1900.
- REPORTED BY -- The next item is the name and position of the person making the report; in this case it is "Iván Barbarits, kisbirtokos." He was likely a neighbor. The word "kisbirtokos" literally means small landowner, and is usually translated as "smallholder."
- THE DECEASED -- the first grouping of information is about the deceased. The information required is the name; religion; position or occupation; where s/he lived; place of birth; age at death; spouse's name; father's name, occupation, and place of residence; and finally mother's name, occupation, and place of residence.
- THE DEATH -- the second grouping of information requires the following information: place of death; date and time of death; and cause of death.
- COMMENTS -- frankly, I haven't been able to decipher these comments. If anyone can help, I'd appreciate it.
- BOTTOM MATERIAL -- at the bottom is a place for information about how the data was received, not used in this example, and space to register approval. Finally, the record is signed by the registrar (twice) and by Mr. Barbarits, the reporter, who -- since he apparently was illiterate -- marked the report with his X.